BioE Assistant Professors Jessica Oakes and Chiara Bellini were awarded a $1.5M award from the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG), administered through The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Grant Programs Directorate, for examining the "Health Consequences Following Acute and Chronic Firefighter Exposure to Wildland Fire Smoke".
You are here
- 2013 University of California, San Diego, PhD in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- 2008 Rochester Institute of Technology, MS in Mechanical Engineering
- J.M. Oakes, P. Hofemeier, I.E. Vignon-Clementel, J. Sznitman, Aerosols in Healthy and Emphysematous In Silico Pulmonary Acinar Rat Models, Journal of Biomechanics, 49(11), 2016, 2213-2220
- J.M. Oakes, A.L. Marsden, C. Grandmont, C. Darquenne, I.E. Vignon-Clementel, Distribution of Aerosolized Particles in Healthy and Emphysematous Rat Lungs: Comparison Between Experimental and Numerical Studies, Journal of Biomechanics, 48(6), 2015, 1147-1157
- C. Darquenne, M.G. Borja, J.M. Oakes, E.C. Breen, I.M. Olfert, M. Scadeng, G.K. Prisk, Increase in Relative Deposition of Fine Particles in the Rat Lung Periphery in the Absence of Gravity, Journal of Applied Physiology, 117(8), 2014, 880-886
- J.M. Oakes, E. Breen, M. Scadeng, G.S. Tchantchou, C. Darquenne, MRI-Based Measurements of Aerosol Deposition in the Lung of Healthy and Elastase-Treated Rats, Journal of Applied Physiology, 116(12), 2014, 1561-1568
- J.M. Oakes, A.L. Marsden, C. Grandmont, S.C. Shadden, C. Darquenne, I.E. Vignon-Clementel, Airflow and Particle Deposition Simulations in Health and Emphysema: From in Vivo to in Silico Animal Experiments, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 42(4), 2014, 899-914
- J.M. Oakes, M. Scadeng, E.C. Breen, G. Kim Prisk, C. Darquenne, Regional Distribution of Aerosol Deposition in Rat Lungs Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 41(5), 2013, 967-978
- J.M. Oakes, M. Scadeng, E.C. Breen, A.L. Marsden, C. Darquenne, Rat Airway Morphometry Measured from in Situ MRI-Based Geometric Models, Journal of Applied Physiology. 112(11), 2012, 1921-1931
Research & Scholarship Interests
Department Research Areas
BioE Assistant Professors Jessica Oakes and Chiara Bellini are studying the health effects of vaping versus traditional combustible cigarettes.
21 COE faculty and affiliates were recipients of FY18 TIER 1 Interdisciplinary Research Seed Grants for 12 different projects representing $600K dollars of investment in research.